February 11, 2010 marked the 20th anniversary of the release of former President Mandela. This event was celebrated here with the opening of Parliament in Cape Town and a special recognition to this moment in the State of the Nation address by President Zuma. I watched the TV coverage on this event, which was interesting because you could see there was a conscious effort to represent each different people group in the parade leading into Parliament. Also, in President Zuma’s speech he attempted to say a couple phrases in other languages (there are 11 official languages in South Africa, although many more are spoken) which drew some laughter from the crowd. I feel for Zuma who has been chosen to lead a country that does not have many funds and the poverty level is that of a Third World country. As far as I can gather, there is no welfare system here like in the United States.
This past week I was given the opportunity (through a Minnesota connection) to visit the Zwane Center in Gugeletu (a Black township which is about a 15 minute car ride from where I am staying). Gugs has become more of a self sufficient township because of the businesses that are here. Since townships are so far from Cape Town, residents have had to rely on themselves in order to survive. There is a market area where people can set up a stand and sell their products, which is mostly fresh meat. Other small businesses are all over the township: hair salons, sangoma (similar to a Native American Medicine Man), small “corner stores,” “take away” (or carry out) restaurants, etc. People will do anything to make much needed money. Each township also has their own taxi system to bring residents into Cape Town where they work (I rode in one of these taxis as mentioned in the last blog). What separates Gugs from other townships is that they are having their own shopping center built right in Gugs. Shopping centers are not located in townships, which require township residents to commute to the nearest one that is usually located in a first ring suburb. The shopping center was brought about by a big business man, from Gugs, who has made it big in the restaurant business here (I ate at one of his restaurants, and the food was bomb!). The Zwane Center works with families in Gugs, primarily targeting the issue of AIDs which is very prevalent in the Black community here. Gugs is currently having a problem with their cemetery (which is very close to being full) because so many people are dying. I met a woman who works at Zwane by the name of Johanna. She was responsible for doing home visits with the families and making sure that their basic needs were being met. I couldn’t help but think of Banyan. I also met the Director who took us on an excursion :) We visited a Gogo mom (Gogo mom is a government program that pays retired women to raise children who have lost their parents) who is taking care of 12 children, even though the government only pays her to take care of 6. She has a wonderful heart for kids, and has a hard time turning kids away. We then went to a settlement that is about 10 minutes from Gugs where people who are waiting for a home to be built for them live. Here the living conditions are the worst. It looks like a concentration camp. Families are forced to live in 12x20 foot “houses” with about 5 people who live in each one. There is one toilet for every four houses. After doing the math, you will find out that it is being shared by about 20 people. Disease, crime, and unemployment are rampant in this area. I feel fortunate that I am not forced to live at the mercy of the government. All in all, it was an eye opening experience filled with wonderful stories from oppressed people who still had a resilient spirit.
Classes continue to be interesting and unwrap more of the culture of South Africa. I continue to enjoy learning more about people’s stories and feel privileged to be a part of people’s stories. Happy Valentine’s Day! ~Shalom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy Valentines Day!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for blessing us with all the great stories and what you have experienced thus far! The Banyan kids have been asking about you:) What an awesome young woman of GOD you are to share this experience with the rest of us! May God continue to bless you in SA and look forward to reading more!
Tonya