Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Funny Momments

I am a person who enjoys laughter and, fortunately for me, I have experienced my fair share of it here. This morning, when my roommate and I went downstairs to the kitchen to eat breakfast, my host dad greeted us with the “Single Ladies” song by Beyonce. We were a little confused and were wondering why a Senior Citizen was singing a mainstream hip hop song. He then told us that Beyonce had won multiple Grammys and this was one of the songs she won an award for. This cracked me up because when “Single Ladies” first came out, I had that thing on reply so much so that my roommate banned the song from our room (which was understandable). It then became a running joke with my housemates who would break out in song just to get on each other’s nerves. They told me that I would have to teach the song to the people I came in contact with in South Africa. All I can say is that God is good…I have not said anything yet and people are singing my theme song for me  My other run in with “Single Ladies” was when our group was taking a walking tour of Bo Kaap (an area right outside of downtown Cape Town) and the tour guide (who knows all the residents of the area) was asking a couple children how their day at school was. They were younger children and the girls were wearing cowgirl hats and acting out a cowgirl scene on the front porch. The tour guide then asked them to put on a show for us and when asked what song cowgirls sing they broke out in “Single Ladies.” Classic.
Today was also our first day of class with all the Cornerstone students. My professor (or lecturer) is from Kenya and is teaching about African Worldviews, a daunting task. There are more students in the class than he expected, so he had to answer twice the amount of questions regarding the syllabus. One of the questions was about how strict he was going to be about page limits on homework. He answered, “Very strict.” The student then asked a follow up question asking to clarify how strict is strict. His answer, “Very strict.” Followed by a stern face. When asked the same question again he was like, “Man can’t you see I am going to be strict! How many more faces to I have to have in order for you to understand?!” He then proceeded to pull a bunch of different “strict” faces while the class was roaring. Although it doesn’t sound like it, a fair amount of work was accomplished during that class period.
On another note, a group of us took the train to Simon’s Town for a beach day. It was a windy day and quickly found ourselves dealing with sand in our faces. Determined to have a beach day, we stayed and covered our faces with our shirts. Needless to say, I felt like a sand dune by the time we left. As we were leaving, we saw two beautiful dolphins swimming about five feet from the shore. One more random fact: I found out today that the boat that we took to Robben Island last week struck a rock and sunk. Too bad we weren’t on that boat…it would have added to the adventurous stories of our stay in South Africa! ~Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment